Move Evolution to Extras?

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Apr 12 18:44:29 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 11:37am, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 10:32 -0600, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> > And you don't have to.  You can run KMail and/or Kontact on GNOME
> > without installing the whole environment.  You only need a couple of
> > libs.
>
> You are missing the point.

No, I understand your viewpoint. Apparently, you did not understand mine ...
all of it.

> Starting any KDE app loads a lot of sh*t
> in memory that need not be there. If I'm using only apps from one
> environment, they share the same infrastructure (including libs loaded
> in memory). It would be insane to go to a default where *both*
> KDE and GNOME need to be loaded in order to do anything useful in GNOME.

Yup.  That's what I said, only I didn't (and wouldn't) use the word "insane".

IMO, it's not that insane to _run_ GNOME and KDE apps side by side on top of
either KDE or GNOME.  Yes, there are more libs loaded into memory, but have
you looked to see how much RAM is actually being used in that case?  It's not
*that* much.

However, I agree it's not a good idea to force all users to install both GNOME
and KDE desktop environments.

But to run KDE and GNOME apps on top of each other doesn't require you to
install the whole of both desktop environments.  In fact, it only requires a
very few libs.

If you had read my entire post, you would have seen that's what I was saying.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor