Move Evolution to Extras?

Wed Apr 12 22:45:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 22:23 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > If you drop Linux I am sure you can use outlook. I use a Gnome desktop
> > and no matter how ppl keep repeating the "you can use KDE apps" it does
> > not work. Using KDE apps on a Gnome Desktop is like using a wine outlook
> > on a Linux desktop, it works but there are zillion little things like
> > cut and paste,
>
> Cut&paste is completely compatible between KDE and GNOME apps and has been for
> a long time now! The Qt clipboard bug where it mixed up PRIMARY (selection) and
> CLIPBOARD was fixed ages ago.

Might just be me, but in kdevelop (the only kde application i use) i
always end up screwing cut and paste up, since ctrl-c/v and
middle-mouse-button seem to interact at random.

> > default file browser, default web browser,
>
> Run kcontrol and you can set your file associations. Getting Kontact to run
> your GNOME applications when you open a file or URL in it is not hard. The
> default browser for KDE apps is the setting for "text/html".

Why would i have to run kcontrol ? I mean i am using a Gnome desktop,
not a KDE one.

> > system settings etc. that all are different.
>
> Just set them to the same thing. KDE is very flexible, it's possible to get it
> to match the GNOME configuration very closely.

So you are suggesting that everybody will set all settings twice, one
time for Gnome and one time for KDE? This is exactly the problem with a
Gnome and KDE mix, it is a PITA.

- Erwin