Init scritps timeout

Yesterday my server had a power failure and the ldap database got corrupted.
The weird thing is that the corruption caused the ldap init script to hang and
it stopped the server boot. Today I corrupted the database on purpose to
reproduce the problem but it's not happening anymore.
Beside all the precautions (ups, raid, journaled filesystems, etc...) and
beside the fact it probably was a really particoular database corruption,
shouldn't the init scripts have a timeout? If any of the scripts hangs the
whole boot process stops. Isn't this a really dangerous behaviour?

--
Federico.