Fedora Bounties (seeking ideas)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Apr 20 21:32:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 21:02 -0700, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> The "fastestmirror" yum plugin is your friend - I really think it should
> be part of the default install!
> yum install yum-fastestmirror

It's not my friend. It seems to always pick the worst mirrors possible.
It shouldn't take 5 minutes to download 100k. In particular,
mirror.clarkson.edu always seems to top the list, and I can only seem to
get about 300bps sustained from them...

Mirrors need to be ranked by actual download rate, not whatever it is
yum-fastestmirror is doing. (It appears to be simply timing how long it
takes to connect()...)