Re: Fedora Bounties (seeking ideas)

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 16:32 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 21:02 -0700, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> > The "fastestmirror" yum plugin is your friend - I really think it should
> > be part of the default install!
> > yum install yum-fastestmirror
>
> It's not my friend. It seems to always pick the worst mirrors possible.
> It shouldn't take 5 minutes to download 100k. In particular,
> mirror.clarkson.edu always seems to top the list, and I can only seem to
> get about 300bps sustained from them...
>
> Mirrors need to be ranked by actual download rate, not whatever it is
> yum-fastestmirror is doing. (It appears to be simply timing how long it
> takes to connect()...)

This has been my experience as well, although I can't say if any one
slow mirror has consistently outranked another.  Often the mirror I get
is in Europe and not the U.S.  While that's not a problem per se, my
habit is to keep traffic on the same continent when I have a choice. :-)
After removing or disabling yum-fastestmirror my yum/pup/pirut
experience is much more satisfactory.