Re: [NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

On 4/21/06, Leon <sdl web gmail com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This is something new and missing for linux. I think it's a great
> idea. The following wiki page explains clearly.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackageDependencyManagement

automatic removal of dependancies.. will only work if all applications
and scripts on the system are managed by the package management
system. That means that nothing on the system can be installed via
source which makes it outside the scope of the package management
system  which may be using an "indirect" dependancy.
Nothing can be install from an alternative catelog like CPAN.. which
may be using an "indirect" dependancy. Nothing can be written locally
as a script, shell or perl or python or php or otherwise... that may
use an "indirect" dependancy.

This only robustly works if every library and every executable and
every intepretable script which could be calling other executables on
the system is strictly managed by the package management system.
Snowball's chance in that happening on a anything close to 90% of
deployed systems. Whether its multiuser moderate to large network
deployments, or someone's home workstation the chance that a system is
rpm pure for every executable and script on the system is slim.

-jef