Re: any reason why system-config-kickstart requires root?

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Chris Lumens wrote:

I can't think of one, and running

/usr/share/system-config-kickstart/system-config-kickstart.py

manually seems to work just fine (I saved my kickstart file without incident).

Should I file a bug?

It requires root because it uses pirut for the package selection screen,
and that requires root because it uses yum, which may need to update the
cache files in /var/cache/yum.  It's working as intended.

Yum supports per-user private cache, that's what most yum-utils use for non-root usage. Look for getCacheDir() usage in yum-utils how to make use of it.

	- Panu -