Fedora core suggestions

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Apr 25 11:15:45 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 14:39 +0200, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 18:02 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >  On 4/21/06, Alo Tsum <alotsum at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > First suggestions has to do with the software side of things. We users need
> > > a competent software installer which is graphical based.
> >
> > The problem here is that there are several options, and Fedora has
> > chosen to stick with Pirut. I am personally not a fan of the GUI style
> > used by Pirut, but it is quite possible that I am in the minority in
> > this regard.
>
> Perhaps a minority, but definately not alone. It's hard to believe that
> it comes from the same vendor that proposed the HIG.

Pirut is good for getting the OS installed fast and then installing
groups of software.

Individual packages is better done with yum.

pirut might benefit from some interface changes, but imho it also needs
to be able to install updates to existing software at the same time it
installs new software - so that after installing Fedora, you can just
use pirut to pick your packages - and at the same yum transaction it
will install available updates.