AW: Still much more than 350 sockets needed!

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Apr 26 21:17:47 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 02:51pm, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 02:34:55PM -0600, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> > Where do you put that?  There is no "limit" command and ulimit doesn't
> > accept "descriptors" as a parameter.
>
> limit descriptors is (t)csh, the (ba)sh equivalent is ulimit -n.  Use
> ulimit -a for the complete list.

Oh, duh!

OK.  Running "ulimit -n 2048" on the client box in my 3-box setup, yielded the
result that 2045 network connections could be made, as root.  Trying to run
that ulimit command as an unprivileged user results in an error message (as
expected).

So, in order to solve Hendrik Wiese's problem, they can either launch their
client program as root, increase the limit to whatever they feel is
appropriate, and then drop root privileges, or use pam_limits.so by
editing /etc/security/limits.conf and adding lines like:

*       soft    nofile  1024
*       hard    nofile  65535

Of course, set values that make sense for the soft limit, since unprivileged
users can't change that.  On RHEL & FC, pam_limit.so is loaded
in /etc/pam.d/system-auth, so no modifications will be needed.

> > I'd certainly like to know the answer, too.
>
> /etc/security/limits.conf is I think what you want.

I agree; that's the best way.

> > BTW:  With 1GB RAM minimum on all my notebooks and workstations (and on a
> > couple of my personal servers), it wouldn't bother me to increase that
> > default to 5120 or 10240 even.  Of course, that change could require a
> > much more in depth conversation.
>
> I'd agree.  I'd love to know the kernel memory cost for a fd though.

I don't have the kernel source (or headers) handy at the moment.  If I did,
I'd find out by starting with the fs.h header and working from there.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor