Using kudzu as a "black box"

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Sat Aug 5 03:14:53 UTC 2006

Christian Gonzalez (christiang020 at yahoo.es) said:
> (First of all, sorry for my english.)
>
> Hi.
>
> I hope this is the correct place for asking about kudzu. If not, please tell
> me where I should go.
>
> I'm creating a hardware detection tool for use it in a K12LTSP-based distro.
> Is it possible to use kudzu for hardware detection in a different machine? I
> mean:
>
> 1. In a thinclient, I get the output of lspci, dmesg or wathever kudzu needs,
> using a boot floppy.
>
> 2. In LTSP server, I use kudzu for reading this output (maybe with -f
> parameter) and get the apropiated modules for video, sound and network cards.
>
> 3. With this info, I'll create entries in lts.conf file for the thinclient.
>
> Can I use kudzu as a "black box"? Is there a better way?

You could... however, if you're using a recent distro (FC4 or later), you
can just use udev to load all the appropriate modules for network, storage,
sound, etc. That leaves X. In FC6, you'll be able to specify a minimal
X config file - you only need the X driver. So, the only thing you'd need
kudzu for is the X driver.

Bill