some closure on the xorg updates issue

Oisin Feeley oisin.feeley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 15:30:48 UTC 2006

On 8/11/06, Rahul <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

[snip]

> Put yet another way, upgrading X.org isn't about punishing vendors of
> > proprietary drivers, it's about _rewarding_ vendors of open source
> > drivers.

[snip]

You can pain it as a idealogical battle if you want
> to but that's not what this is about at all.

The painting/framing was done in Max Spevack's original statement which
rhetorically counterbalanced a (non-existing AFAIK) "desire to not make
concessions to proprietary software vendors" versus "the very real problem
of unnecessarily breaking the systems of users".  /That/ is a very
particular and ideological take on the problem, and it's annoying because
it's certainly not what some of us are arguing, but it purports to represent
the only two-sides of the coin.

Anyway, this is all hot air if the decision is already made, but it's not
very impressive that /my/ user experience of "yum upgrade xorg" to get
better free software is being sacrificed so that someone else's non-free
software is left where it is.

Best wishes,
Oisin