[DEP-BLOAT] 'sendmail' requires 'cyrus-sasl'

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Aug 21 16:12:25 UTC 2006

Lam at Lam.pl (Leszek Matok) writes:

> In case of Sendmail I don't think it's needed to provide smtpd without
> smtp auth, it doesn't make much sense nowadays, as the author stated,
> anyhow.

'sendmail' on workstations is usually configured to accept mail from
127.0.0.1 only.  For what do you need SMTP auth there? And I am in doubt
that 'mailx' (which provides the 'mail' command e.g. used by cron) is
capable for doing SMTP auth.

So, SMTP auth is required for a very limited use case (outbound SMTP
servers) only.

But this does not matter... current 'sendmail' packaging enforces
installation of 'cyrus-sasl' although 'sendmail' works without this
package too. You would have everytime the option to install additional
software which is needed for your setup.

Enrico