bluetooth in default desktop install?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 14:36:28 UTC 2006

> On Monday 28 August 2006 12:48, Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
> > By the way, what HAPPENED to the everything install option!!!!
>
> We got tired of telling a lie so it went away.
>
> On the subject of bluetooth, does it even WORK straight away w/out any
> configuration?  I was under the impression that bluetooth still needed a
> bunch of hand fiddling to do what you wanted to do, not quite as simple as
> plugging in a USB storage device.

I think file transfer (OBEX) works if you send a file from the _phone_
to your computer out of the box, as long as you are running the
"Bluetooth File Sharing" tool in Gnome.  Pairing works just fine with
the D-Bus enabled PIN entry dialog utility.

What really, really sucks right now is going the other way, accessing
the device or phone _from_ your computer.  To get DUN working, you have
to pair with the phone (hcitool cc <bt addr>), run sdptool browse to
find out the DUN channel, then edit /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf and add
the device and its channel to a specified rfcomm port.  Then you
configure dialup like normal with system-config-network.

I have yet to get OBEX to work from computer -> phone with obexftp.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.  Matthew Garret's SoC project
is beating the asstastic stupidity out of the current Linux bluetooth
integration.  Marcel Holtmann has queued patches that make the sysfs
bluetooth model much easier for 2.6.19, and mjg59's patches will expose
that 2.6.19 functionality to HAL-enabled apps.  NetworkManager will
integrate with HAL and bluetooth to make all of this Just Work in the
next 6 - 8 months.

Dan