possible yast porting? was: slashdot on fedora-marketing-list

Steve Barnhart stb52988 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 21:25:01 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Ya I really am saddened that no other distros have taken advantage of
> > > YaST being open source. Everyone keeps wasting resources and
> > > rebuilding when YaST is a good alternative and includes an ncurses gui
> > > too. I really like YaST and is probably the reason I keep having a
> > > hard time deciding between Fedora and openSUSE and keeping both of
> > > them on my HD. Porting YaST should be way simpler for Fedora as it is
> > > already RPM based. So many modules are there that rebuilding something
> > > else just seems like a waste of time.
>
> Please god no...  YAST is one of the worst systems out there.  linuxconf is
> pretty close too.

Umm actually Novell seems to be doing pretty good including it in
their server options and I would like your reasoning for demeaning it
in such a way. Not that I do not realize it has problems of its own, I
think too many people simply critisize it because well, it makes
things easier. Personally I can personally compare it to the control
panel and atleast with something like that I could do stuff much
easier/quicker that way and if I was trying to help someone else
(especially newer people to Linux) it would be easier to walk them
through that/document stuff then have them cut/paste into config files
and the like which is in different places usually for distributions
anyway.Ubuntu seems to be building one and reinventing the wheel as
usual, but I would like to see Fedora getting in with a control panel
also and YaST seems like a prime candidate.

Steve