Wishlist: remote install GUI

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Thu Aug 31 19:02:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 01:38:47PM -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Steven Pritchard <steve at silug.org> wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 01:17:22PM -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >> Would be nice if Fedora could pioneer (assuming ti doesn't alreayd
> >> exist) the ability to put a Disk 1 into machine X, have machine X boot
> >> to Disk 1, then have machine Y switch on and PXE boot, pulling the
> >> necessary info from machine X and have an monitor the installtion of
> >> machine Y from machine X via VNC (NX would be nice).
> >
> >VNC is way too single-system oriented.  Think doing what you said on a
> >lab full of systems, for example.
>
> Well, vNc+Linux is one of the first thigns that got me to like VNC:
> 20+ WinXp/2k machine with TightVNC servers on them, and RH8 and over 8
> virtudal desktops each with VNC running.
>
> But I assume this isn't what you meant...please explain.

Look at this Ignite-UX screenshot:

  http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90970/ch04s03.html#babcfiia

For each system listed in the GUI, there is a little progress meter
next to it.  I remember once firing off 30 or so installs using
Ignite-UX all at once.  All I had to do was watch the little progress
guage to see where all of the installs were at.

Obviously we could do *much* better with the GUI.  For example, it
would be easy to make it possible to right-click on one of those icons
and choose "Show install GUI" or something and have it pop up VNC
connected to the system, if for some reason you wanted to see
*exactly* what was happening.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/