compiz problem - No window managment.

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Thu Aug 31 21:01:32 UTC 2006

Zoltan Boszormenyi írta:
> Naoki írta:

>>> It can also happen if the compiz gconf database got screwed, which
>>> can happen if you upgraded from something earlier than
>>> 0.0.13-0.12.20060721git.  In that case, uninstall and then reinstall
>>> compiz.
>>>
>>> Other than that, as Adam mentions, compiz relies on an external
>>> helper program, gnome-window-decorator, to draw the window
>>> decorations.  The recommended way to start compiz is to go to the
>>> System->Preferences->More Preferences->Desktop Effects and click the
>>> big button there.  This will start compiz the right way and set it
>>> as your default windows manager.  If that still doesn't work for,
>>> please let us know.
>>>

>> Howdy, indeed the only way I enable it is through the preferences
>> window. Your trick of remove/re-install has solved the issue for me
>> though thanks!
>>

> Unfortunately it doesn't work for me, only half way.
> I have a dualseat machine with two separate
> X servers/keyboards and mice.
> Screen :0 is a Radeon 7000VE PCI,
> screen :1 is a Radeon 9200SE AGP.
> I use uptodate RawHide.
>
> I tried to enable desktop effects on :1 and
> although gnome-window-decorator is started
> according to "ps", I get no window decoration.
> Then I disabled it and enabled on :0 and the
> acceleration works quite well.
>
> But here's a bug: the screen is 1280x1024 and
> the background picture is cut so only the left side
> 1024x1024 area is correct, the remaining stripe
> on the right side gets black.
>
> Starting xwininfo and clicking the root window
> shows that its size became 1024x1024 somehow.
> Disabling desktop effects the root window becomes
> 1280x1024 again.
>
> Dragging wobbly windows all around works
> on the whole screen, so 3D is definitely working.
> The window dragging leaves traces on the
> otherwise black right side.

Well, the remove/reinstall wasn't enough,
I had to do these:

yum remove compiz
# for both users/screens:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz
yum install compiz

to get it working on both screens.

But the 1024x1024 limit is still there on the
Radeon 7000VE (r100), the Radeon 9200SE (rv280)
works beautifully.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi