CPU Frequency Scaling

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Sun Dec 3 14:58:08 UTC 2006

> The kernel has had the scaling governor modules for a while now and I am
> not sure why Fedora is still relying on the cpuspeed daemon by default.

is it? Afaik most cpus actually use the ondemand governer, which lets
the kernel do the frequency switches on demand, and quickly ;)
Yes the enabling of this happens from the cpuspeed initscript, but the
cpuspeed daemon isn't actually involved anymore for just about any
modern system.

In my experience, ondemand works really well and I've not yet found that
I wanted to override it. Maybe if you absolutely want the longest
battery life and always want only the lowest frequency
(but then again the frequency range is a tunable for ondemand anyway)