rawhide report: 20061201 changes

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl
Mon Dec 4 14:25:54 UTC 2006

Dnia 04-12-2006, pon o godzinie 10:57 +0100, Miroslav Lichvar
napisał(a):
[..]
> > Second: now ncurses package contains shared libncurses and libncursesw.
> > Why not all link all against libncursesw ? It will allow drop libncurses
> > (or move to compat-ncurses). It will allow make main package ~two time
> > smaller.
>
> Some packages don't need the wide-character ncurses, in fact there are
> only 20 packages in FC+FE that depend on the library. But number of
> packages requiring libncurses is about 200.

Seems you dont' know some fact. Using libncursesw ABI don't mean
"program uses wchar". libncursesw API in most cases can be used as
normal libncurses but have loaded in the same time libncursesw and
libncurses and libtermcap means you are preffer waste more memory then
using for all program single term toolkit library (nevermind which).

Let me explain some other fact: using by RH and Fedora ncurses and
libtermcap in current way it is not some think over result. It is result
of random order procedures of detecting termcap and ncurses which comes
with *dist source* tar balls. Proofs 1: in current Fedora source
resources there is no patches which switches using ncurses<>termcap ABI
(don't count in this class fixes for detecting termcap/ncurses ABI in
case when package like gnupg does not uses term toolkit ABI but it is
linked with readline which is now used with weak term toolkit symbols).
Proof 2: if ncurses in you opinion is worse than libtermcap why ncurses
now is used more offen then libtermcap ?

If it is matter of size why there is not in Fedora patches which
switches from ncurses to libtermacap API ?

kloczek