CPU Frequency Scaling

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Dec 5 08:43:15 UTC 2006

Le Lun 4 décembre 2006 19:56, Matthew Miller a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 01:34:36PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>> I was, in fact, arguing for remote admin capabilities. Did you read my
>> mail at all?
>
> The "futuristic networked LDAP backend" you mention presumes that you've
> got the luxury of setting up said backend in your environment and making
> all your systems work with it. In the ideal world, where the system
> analyst/admin gets dropped into a problem with a clean slate and a huge
> budget, that'd sounds great. Making it work in an existing heterogeneous
> enviroment where you've got working systems already deployed is different.

Well, MS proved generalized directory use was no problem for basic
admins/devs as long as the directory server deployment itself was
hassle-free. You have to take a longer view that what exists today, or no
infrastructure change would ever be possible.

However the LDAP stack in Fedora is not ready for such use today, and
won't be till the Fedora Directory Server guys actually get their stuff in
Rawhide and make it as easy to setup as Fedora Apache is.

(The same argument could be written about JBoss & Java-on-Linux BTW. The
fact SUN is lifting licensing restrictions won't magically push adoption
by itself, unless there is serious packaging and streamlining follow-ups)

--
Nicolas Mailhot