Package dependency analysis

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 20:16:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 18:04 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> 	Any comments?

I am not sure that graphical repesentations of dependencies are all that
useful. I'd rather have a (GUI based) tool that is focused on answering
specific questions; for example,

      * given a set of packages/groups, what is the package set that
        anaconda will install with that input (i.e. closure under dep
        solving)
      * given a set of packages/groups I, and its closure C, why is
        package X in C ? This might actually benefit from showing the
        full dependency path from the initial packages to the resolved
        set, though just highlighting the member(s) of I that cause X to
        end up in C might be enough
      * given the sets I and C and a specific package X in I, which
        packages in C are pulled in by X ? Which ones are pulled in just
        by X and which ones by X and other packages in I ?

A really simple UI might just consist of two lists, one for I and one
for C with behavior like

      * point tool at arbitrary number of repos and comps files
      * add/remove packages and groups to/from I and have C updated
      * selecting a package in I will highlight the packages in C that
        it causes to be pulled in (with some sort of distinction between
        pulled in exclusively by that package and pulled in by that
        package and others)
      * selecting a package in C will highlight the packages in I that
        cause that package to be pulled in. Add some sort of option to
        look at the full dependency chain between them.

Having said all that, the graph looks very cool ;)

David