yum

Ahm ed zrchrn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 04:54:45 UTC 2006

Tim Wrote:
Yum only download the header part of the rpm files from the mirror to
feed it into rpm api, which does part of the depsolving.
I dont speed up thing to split out the header data into seperate files,
like earlier versions of yum did, the same number of bytes have to
be download any way. Depsolving is a  complex task an it takes time to
do, i prefere good depsolving, more than fast depsolving.

Tim

Ah, I see. About the speed. I agree good depsolving IS better than fast
depsolving. BUT the choice is not necessarily between good and fast. as I
have stated Arch Linux's pacman pkg management tool and smart-pm (available
in fedora) as well as debian's tools all process dependencies MUCH faster
than yum. And they do it with comparable effectiveness to yum. I feel we can
make this process faster, not necessarily as "fast" but faster then what it
is. It does not seem to be a problem directly with rpm itself since smart
does work fairly fast even in fedora. So I am assuming it has to do with
something yum does. It could be due to python. In that case I recommend we
move more parts of yum to c. especially the "heavy" processes involved with
depchecks. What I want is for yum to be as fast as possible, without it's
quality taking a hit.