yum

Nico Bdav nscheibl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 10:21:24 UTC 2006

Hi all,
Just to say "About the speed" of yum, here is my story:

Last week i just installed FC6 on a P3 550Mhz with 256MB of ram, for a
"minimal home made" install it takes about 1 hour to solve dependecy
before starting installing packages.
The real install process take less than 30min.
I don't think this is a normal behaviour.

Lot's of people don't have the latest hardware with ultra high cpu frequency.

I won't tell you how yum is unusable on a Pentium 233Mhz whereas
apt-rpm works (within some seconds) like a charm.
If you don't have a powerfull internet connection, you can simply
forget about yum, whereas apt works like a charm from a bad internet
connection (GSM/GPRS/PSTN).

My configuration is largely sufficient for a basic desktop, or a tiny
webserver, but not for fedora install/update tool.
I think yum, which is the basic packet management system under fedora,
must work on any configuration including older hardware (starting from
pentium class systems).

For so i think yum must be improved, to be faster and lighter or
Fedora will become an elitist distribution for latest Top level
hardware with hudge network connection.