Removable of manual display configuration on first boot (FC6)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 21:32:26 UTC 2006

On 12/14/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > I would like to inquire as to why configuration of display settings
> > was removed from first boot. As it is, xorg often ignores resolutions
> > set by system-config-display, but now I'm not evening being given the
> > chance to be ignored, and frankly Fedora is terrible at guessing
> > display settings (from the past 4 FC6 install I've done). In the
> > latest install, FC6 correctly detected the VGA and monitor, but
> > botched the autoconfig enough that LCD blanked out (display out of
> > range) - fixing this was troublesome enough - and I've yet to get xorg
> > to accept the resolution as I set t exactly from
> > system-config-display.
> >
> > I was thinking of filing a bug report, but I figured that I should
> > better ask questions here first.
>
> I think the answer is that Xorg is moving into the direction of getting
> things working properly by default by instead of having the user fiddle
> with settings. The Xorg auto configuration mechanism in FC6 works better
> and usually gets things right. If there are problems file bug reports
> and help fix the issue rather than workaround it with configuration
> tools and files manually. For Xorg 7.3, the plan is to use HAL and DBus
> to enhance this further. Also see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/XInFC7
>
> Rahul

Until the process gets better, it would be nice if the config tool was
still available on firstboot. As it is, if I didn't know what to do
(because this happens to me so often) I would be stuck. I had to power
down the machine, reboot, go to run level 3 , login , and then run the
display config tool. As opposed to before, I would just have my
display config settings ignored, and I'd be stuck on a poor but
viewable display.

I will try to file a report on the latest one - what data should I
include? and what should I file against?

And just to put this out there, some of you may have noticed that some
dude strongly believes that FC killed some of his LCD's functionality
- i don't really believe his case, but up on till yesterday, i had
never had fedora completely blank out my display either.

All this also explains why my desktop boots into a different
resolution when my monitor is off than when it is on - was baffled by
this until now. Restarting X normally fixes this issue, so I didn't
bother with it. But I dare say this can be very worrying behavior.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud