Warning: kernel-2.6.19-1.2877.fc7 unbootable on Itanium systems (IA-64 architecture)

pea510 at aol.de pea510 at aol.de
Sun Dec 17 09:12:24 UTC 2006

 >Unless you're installing the kernel with rpm --nodeps, that shouldn't be
>possible.
>The current kernel depends on the new mkinitrd. (Well, 1 rev back, but that's
>good enough).

> Dave

Not quite: I had installed "FC" from scratch from the "rawhide" tree using the

"FC6" install DVD because network is broken in the current "rescue" image.

The install completed successfully, but then I encountered this kernel panic,

checked the "initrd" size which was 50 bytes only and reinstalled

"kernel-2.6.19-1.2877.fc7". Because now, the "rawhide" version of "mkinitrd"

was used, the created "initrd" was correct, and I could boot the new kernel

on my "IBM ThinkPad T23" (only ATA devices) without a glitch and without

modifying "grub.conf".

Joachim Frieben