New device drivers don't see beyond 15 partitions in fc7

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Dec 22 19:34:26 UTC 2006

On Thursday 21 December 2006 10:31pm, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 05:57:31PM -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > With the change from traditional /dev/hd* type device nodes to /dev/sd*
>  > type nodes, I see that the highest partition number that can be used is
>  > 15.  Will this change so that higher numbers will be available?  I do
>  > have a system that has a drive with almost 30 small partitions used in a
>  > research effort and the number of partitions has not been an issue thru
>  > fc6.
>
> afaik, The only way to achieve > 15 "partitions" per disk with /dev/sd* is
> to use device mapper.  I'm not sure the upper limit of logical volumes per
> PV, but I'm fairly sure it's higher than 15.

Under LVM1 (2.4 kernel and earlier) it was 256 LVs per *system* (only one
major number is used for all of LVM).  The number of VGs (limited to 99, BTW)
was not a factor, nor the number of PVs.

Because the 32-bit device number space is split at 20 bits major and 12 bits
for the minor number (have I got that right way around), I would guess that
LVM2 (kernel 2.6 & later) supports a maximum of 4096 LVs per system.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.