LVM not fit for default

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Dec 22 21:48:05 UTC 2006

Lamont Peterson wrote:

> LVM is one of the coolest things there is.  Many people don't understand the
> basics of how & why LVM is, simply because they don't know where to get the

When LVM fails though, there are no recovery tools.  You can recover the
filesystem inside an LVM (I speak from experience) but your only friends
are dd and a hex editor.  There is no redundancy unlike genuine
filesystems like ext2/3, if the LVM chunk before the actual filesystem
is corrupted, the volume won't mount as LVM and that's your lot from the
One True Way.

LVM binding raided storage together makes sense and buys you something.
  LVM being the default -- even for a laptop that cannot increase its
permanent storage -- only has the capacity to make a crisis into a disaster.

-Andy