Re: LVM not fit for default

Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 21:48 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
When LVM fails though, there are no recovery tools. You can recover the filesystem inside an LVM (I speak from experience) but your only friends are dd and a hex editor. There is no redundancy unlike genuine filesystems like ext2/3, if the LVM chunk before the actual filesystem is corrupted, the volume won't mount as LVM and that's your lot from the One True Way.

And you could have set your laptop on top of a tape degausser.  You have
been making regular backups haven't you?

I had a backup a week old, but that doesn't excuse LVM from *escalating a lost sector into a lost filesystem*. Why ask me about my personal disaster recovery when we talk about taking action to minimize the chance of disaster for the whole class of storage?

When LVM is inflicted on to situations that cannot benefit from it, the end result is you made something more fragile for no gain: that can't be right.

-Andy