ESR "fedora-submit"

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 00:54:23 UTC 2006

On 12/24/06, Michael Tiemann <tiemann at redhat.com> wrote:
> This is the question and the problem
> to be solved.

cvs commits into the cvs trees are of course scriptable.  Once your
package has been reviewed and you have gotten approval, its just a set
of cvs operations to keep the package updated.  The caveat being
creation of release branches which you have to request, so its not
possible to script branch creation at all, since as a contributor you
can't do this on your own.  Branch requests are just edits to a
wikipage so even that is of course scriptable. Once the branches are
created, all future operations are done with a set of cvs commands.
Update the spec file and the patch files, update the source
look-aside, make tag, make build, not much to it really.

Scripting of the submission into the review process is as scriptable
as opening a bugzilla ticket is. But I see little or no value here in
scripting the opening of review tickets, since even if a person
maintains 100+ projects, its certaintly not a good idea to initiate
100+ review tickets in one push.  And you cerntaintly can't script the
communication you have with the reviewers on each of your open
submission tickets.

The potential problem with scripted interactions, as I see it, is can
you have scripted actions that producee the spec files that conform to
the current Fedora Packaging guidelines? If the automation ends up
adding non-obvious specfile elements which impair human reading of the
specfile, then we are going to have a problem.

-jef