ESR "fedora-submit"

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Dec 25 01:44:10 UTC 2006

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 19:56:16 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> In a nutshell, I won't be a Fedora package maintainer if it means I have
> to do special hand-work every time I ship a release.  The more general
> problem is that the Fedora submission system doesn't scale (or at least,
> appears to me not to scale) for maintainers with *lots* of projects.

One request, please, get up-to-date on how packages are submitted and
built _nowadays_ instead of beating dead procedures.

> In 2003 I offered to write tools to attack this problem by automating
> the client end of release submissions.  I actually did write a script
> that can enter bugs with attachments to a Bugzilla instance under
> program control; it's been part of the mainline Bugzilla release
> since, hmm, 2004 I think.

There is a cvs-import.sh script which can import entire src.rpms to
Fedora Extras CVS (its primary use is in the initial import). It takes
care of adding/removing and committing files. It is used by several
packagers, who prefer using it over working in CVS themselves, for
*all* their updates. What it doesn't automate, however, is all the
stuff you need to do prior to creating your source rpms.