Move Evolution to Extras?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Wed Dec 27 19:30:55 UTC 2006

ons, 27 12 2006 kl. 12:57 -0600, skrev Dennis Gilmore:
> On Wednesday 27 December 2006 12:20, David Nielsen wrote:
>

> > Evolution currently is the best of a lot of bad choices, it would be
> > nice if somewhere down the line we could find a replacement, especially
> > one that didn't come bundled with all this groupware functionality all
> > in one app. A simple mailer which can inter-operate with something like
> > Contacts and Dates to make a nicely separated PIM suite which shares
> > information would be ideal in my mind. Anything else seems to be begging
> > for disaster to me, complexity breeds the kind of madness Evolution has
> > become.
>
> sounds like you want kdepim suite of apps  they can be tied together using
> kontact or used separately

I have used KDEs PIM suite in the past and it just feels wrong to me and
it looks out of place on my GNOME desktop. I can't get it to fit with my
natural workflow, call me strange but I like the GNOME way of doing
things. I'm sure it's fine if you are used to KDE though, I just haven't
used KDE as my desktop in a number of years. Besides installing half of
KDE for a mailer seems a bit silly when basically Evolution is fine for
my needs, despite its flaws.

The PIM framework they are working on for KDE4 looks very interesting
though, I'll be interested in seeing how that pans out for them.

- David

--
"Ridicule s the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”