New device drivers don't see beyond 15 partitions in fc7

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Wed Dec 27 20:56:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 12:31:21AM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 05:57:31PM -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > With the change from traditional /dev/hd* type device nodes to /dev/sd*
>  > type nodes, I see that the highest partition number that can be used is
>  > 15.  Will this change so that higher numbers will be available?  I do
>  > have a system that has a drive with almost 30 small partitions used in a
>  > research effort and the number of partitions has not been an issue thru fc6.
>
> afaik, The only way to achieve > 15 "partitions" per disk with /dev/sd* is to
> use device mapper.  I'm not sure the upper limit of logical volumes
> per PV, but I'm fairly sure it's higher than 15.

 You can also use GPT (GUID Partition Table) for non-boot disks (or
 for all disks at ia64/s390). If I good remember the number of
 partitions is unlimited by GPT specification (= the limit depends on
 implementation; usually 128 partitions). The 'parted' supports GPT.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>