Sessions and how to get rid of the RHN alert icon

I've heard this argument many times: "Windows starts up faster, then takes too long to load the systray applets, hence Linux is faster ". I haven't used Windows in a while, but my Linux experience is not very positive when it comes to applets - GNOME takes a long time to load them, and until they're all loaded the panel is unusable. Since all my startup icons are on the panel, I can't launch any applications. How is this any different?

I blame the RHN alert icon. I don't know if it's the root of the problem, but I use rawhide, and I don't need an alert icon anyway. So, I'd like to get rid of it. However, it keeps coming back. If you click on Configuration -> Forward -> Remove from Panel, it disappears, but keeps coming back on every login. The same thing happens if you remove it from the Current Session.

There used to be a checkbox "Save Session" on the Log Out button, but I don't see it anymore. How do I get rid of the icon, and save the session, so that it doesn't come back?