Proposed and major updates policy

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 01:55:01 UTC 2006

On 2/5/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> This is far from perfect solution. Easy example:

The PERFECT solution.. is to integrate update notifications back into
available client tools.. so noone has to dink around with any
mailinglist at all to see update annoucements. In the perfect world,
all you have to do is ask your client tool to  give you a summary of
relevant notifications for each repo you are interested in from the
repo metadata.

Trying to figure out how to sprinkle annoucements into the
mailinglists is just a huge waste of everyones brainpower.
mailinglists are not the right solution for this information no matter
 if you decide to put them in their own mailinglist or not.  The right
solution is to get notification text directly coupled into the
workflow of package updating and package discovery.  You are just
picking nits when you are trying to decide whether test-list is the
best mailinglist.

-jef"how about we just have one mailinglist for every package...that
includes notifications and bugreports and development discussion for
that one particular package. That way i dont have to see any
discussion about kde updates because I don't install or use kde.  So
what if we'd end up with thousands of mailinglists.. what's really
important is making sure noone sees a single discussion they are not
interested in seeing"spaleta