Re: use of downloaded SRPMS

John Reiser wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 05:36:52 -0500  Mike A. Harris asked:

1) How many people actually download the SRPMS disk images?

2) How many people actually really use them for anything?

I download the SRPMS for RHEL, and for non-test releases of Fedora Core.
I frequently modify and rebuild (on both x86 and x86_64):
	kernel  (perfctr extension)
	glibc  (find and fix the bugs)
and sometimes
	gcc  (dwarf2 unwind)
	wvdial,minicom,etc.  (dialup seems to be a forgotten
	                      stepchild, but it's still required)

I also burn a DVD of the SRPMS, and keep it as a defense against
possible future license changes which might restrict my activities
with respect to then-readily-available sources.

You downloaded the SRPM CDROM/DVD image and burned it, or you
downloaded the SRPMS directory from the ftp site?

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                      Proud Canadian.