Testing Xen. Some quick questions.

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 9 00:21:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 01:06 +0100, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Adam Huda wrote:
> > I still haven't got a guest installed using the xenguest-install.py
> > process. When the actual installation starts, it installs a few packages
> > and then dies.
>
> I am not entirely sure why people want to fake a netboot and go through
> anaconda. What is wrong with using yum with --installroot?

Because this
1) Requires a completely new set of tools for provisioning that is
different from everything else you use
2) Requires a number of manual steps
3) Doesn't give good support for things like SELinux
4) Requires you to manage kernels for guests from the host.  Which means
you install some stuff to the guest, but the kernel you have to special
case -- just weird

Using anaconda is far, far nicer.  Plus, it will continue to work as the
distro changes instead of requiring changes to a weird set of steps.

Jeremy