Re: rawhide report: 20060210 changes (part 1/2)

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 19:06 +0100, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 07:57:44AM -0500, Build System wrote:
> [...]
> > - rebuilt for new gcc4.1 snapshot and glibc changes
> [...]
>
> I am wondering long ago about these changelog entries... Why are
> rebuilds mentioned in the changelogs? Strictly speaking, these are not
> changes, at least not to the .src.rpm.

Because otherwise, if I have foo-1.2.1-1 installed and see foo-1.2.1-2,
how do I know what changed without diffing src.rpms?  That's what the
entire purpose of the changelog is.

> And by the way, I also fail to see why rebuilds are so special. Why
> aren't all packages rebuilt periodically by the build system?
> (Say, once a week or fortnight.)
> I think it can be easily seen that it would be a nice regular qa test,
> and also it would make sure that all gcc/glibc or any other
> library/compiler toolchain element changes/improvements would be
> propageted in regular and short timebase.

There are more regular builds of everything for testing, but pushing
things out just ends up causing a lot more bandwidth usage than its
worth.  Most packages get churned enough in the development tree that
any changes get propagated to packages quickly enough.

Jeremy