rpm files changing?

Avi Kivity avi at argo.co.il
Wed Feb 15 11:19:00 UTC 2006

I recently switched mirrors, and I noticed existing RPM files are
resyncing. Here's an example:

[avi at blast rpmdiff]$ diff x y
Binary files x/acl-2.2.34-1.2.i386.rpm and y/acl-2.2.34-1.2.i386.rpm differ
[avi at blast rpmdiff]$ mkdir x/files y/files
[avi at blast rpmdiff]$ (cd x/files; rpm2cpio ../*.rpm | cpio -id)
280 blocks
[avi at blast rpmdiff]$ (cd y/files; rpm2cpio ../*.rpm | cpio -id)
280 blocks
[avi at blast rpmdiff]$ diff -r x/files y/files/
[avi at blast rpmdiff]$

so, the contents are exactly the same, but the packages have changed.

Looking a bit further, one of the RPMs is signed and the other is not.
Are the RPMs signed in-place on the exported directory? If so, I suggest
that signing them in a staging area and then copying them to the
exporting directory would reduce mirror bandwidth and confusion.