Bugzilla dupes attack

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 15 14:06:49 UTC 2006

At 01:46 PM 2/14/2006, you wrote:
>On Tuesday 14 February 2006 10:39, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Regardless of that bugzilla doesnt search closed reports by
> > default. Search them by default would waste a lot of time and users
> > generally care only about open bug reports.
>
>I'm not so sure of that. I *always* search the closed bugs also. You can
>often
>find similar issues, or possibly something that was just closed... If the
>user isn't constantly updating their installed software, they may be running
>into a bug that was already closed as resolved in a recent release.

         It's a general guideline that the default search request should
turn up *everything* that's possibly relevant.  Yes,  it's bad to get 50
items,  5 of which are relevant,  but it's much worse to get 0 items when 7
are relevant...  The latter is what you often see on site-specific search
engines because people set the defaults too tight;  people are so used to
getting 0 results when they do a search on a site that they often don't
even try search features embedded in a site.

         As for the problem of open vs. closed bugs,  there is a simple
answer...

(i) Have a display,  either on top or on the side,  that says something like

13 bugs unassigned
17 bugs assigned
104 bugs resolved

people can click on the link to be directed to just a list of bugs with the
above status.

(ii) Make sure that casual (and serious) users can instantly scan the
status of a bug with a minimum amount of cognitive effort.
(iii) Order the bugs in order of closed status (open first) unless you've
got a much more compelling ranking function (suppose you have some
indication of how many people are interested in a bug,  you might put the
popular bug at the top)

RH's bugzilla faces a problem that many sites have:  multiple populations
of users.  (1) There's a group of RH employees and serious Fedora
contributors who look at bugzilla every day.  (2) There's a group of
hardcore Fedora enthusiasts who put bugs into bugzilla on a regular
basis.  (3) There's a group of Fedora enthusiasts who use bugzilla only
occasionally,  but they've found a problem that concerns them and that
they're passionate about getting fixed.

Since people of class (1) are in charge of maintaining Bugzilla,  they
aren't going to have trouble getting their needs met.  On the other
hand,  making it easy for people to join group (3) and move to (2) is
critical for the success of the project.

It may make sense to make the interface for bugzilla bimodal:  have one
interface that's designed to be foolproof for the casual user,  and another
one that's customizable so that people who use Bugzilla continuously don't
have their attention distracted by irrelevant stuff (closed bugs) and don't
wear out their wrists with excessive pointing and clicking.