Grub password by default?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Feb 17 10:19:31 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote :

> On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 20:07 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Small question/suggestion:
> > By default, Anaconda doesn't require a grub password.
> > A user must manually select "Use a bootloader password" in-order to set
> > on up.
> > Is there a specific reason for that?
>
> In general, if you have physical access to the machine, you've already
> lost.  We allow setting the boot loader password mainly to help people
> who have taken other appropriate measures (password protecting the BIOS,
> ensuring the boot order doesn't boot from removable media, case locks)

I totally agree : A GRUB password is only useful to people who really know
why they want it.

Oh, and another obvious reason why not to set one by default would be
because the keyboard layout in GRUB is US, so things get confusing pretty
quickly for people with different layouts, especially if they put some non
alphanumeric characters in the password ;-) (please correct me if this has
changed nowadays...)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
Load : 0.08 0.28 0.38