Questioning Pirut

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 19 14:05:34 UTC 2006

Hi

Tim Lauridsen wrote:

>   I have suggested to the developers to join forces and get Yum
> Extender a.k.a yumex in shape to get into Core.
> I takes time to make a good package manager gui and there are no need
> to start from scratch.
> pup and system-install-packages are in good shape, but pirut need a
> lot of work.
> The current development release of yumex 0.99.9, currently in
> extras-development, is in good shape and works in both
> FC4 and rawhide. (and in RHEL 4 (with yum 2.4.x & CentOS 4.2)
>
> Tim Lauridsen
> Yumex Developer.

There is nothing called as "system-install-packages".
System-config-packages has been replaced by Pirut. Been talking to the
relevant developers over this and the design of Pirut is basically to
avoid a laundry list of packages and provide a interface that exposes
the groups as the primary interface. This is sufficiently different from
Yumex to warrant a separate program. A lot of the underlying layers is
already shared and we could look into sharing functionality as
appropriate. Those who want Yumex can always get it from Fedora Extras.

--
Rahul