Re: Questioning Pirut

Rahul Sundaram ka┼że:

> Kevin Verma wrote:
>>Dear Pirut Developers,
>>I've been trying to use Pirut over the FC5 rawhide, referring a screen
>>shot here from the wiki,
>>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore5/007_Pirut
>>I will like to know your point of view why we really needed yet
>>another package manager, I understand that this one is created more to
>>adapt to Yum system. I will like to know your view if
>>system-config-packages could have been adapted to Yum as well ?
> That is exactly what pirut is. A adoption of system-config-packages to
> use a yum backend with a new name to reflect the fact that the tool
> doesnt require any configuration.

But there is a thing I don't like with Pirut. Pirut will always look on
the internet first, instead of looking into the CD/DVD media. That's a
feature which dial-up users won't like very much. The
system-config-packages tool worked only with CD/DVD media, which is much
better approach for dial-up users. All the users who have fast
connection to internet can always use Yum or Yumex for installing new
packages.

--
Igor Jagec