The future of Linux - architecture and package inter-dependencies

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Mon Feb 20 11:45:51 UTC 2006

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> 2)
>> to be able to upgrade the applications I most use without having to
>> re-install the operating system
>
> that's a hard one, see below
> \
>> firefox 1.5 is hard to build for FC4 due to the dependencies, not to talk
>> about evolution 2.4 openoffice and KDE just to name some. The dependencies
>> on a miriad of packages make the effort ridicolously hard.

If you want to use newer version of packages, there are normally no
problems in doing so - The usual problem lies in the fact that the
RAWHIDE packages are intended for newer core packages and components.

You brought firefox 1.5 up, so let me use that as a simple example to
illustrate my point.

It's not possible to build the rawhide firefox packages on FC4, because
they are MADE to REQUIRE cairo, which is not included in FC4.

This does not mean that you cannot run firefox on FC4, though, you just
need a) firefox packages that does not require cairo or b) cairo
installed on your system.

Check out nrpms.net - there are updated gnome/firefox/xx packages
available for FC4 that you can upgrade most of your operating system
without reinstalling.

I'm currently running firefox 1.5.0.1 without cairo with great success
on FC4.

So what you need is a third party repository that give you the updated
(not just security patched) versions of your core components... For most
production (enterprise style) systems this is a bad idea, which is why i
don't think we should ever expect this from a serious distro that should
be usable in those places too.

Hope this helps

/Thomas