The future of Linux - architecture and package inter-dependencies

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Feb 20 13:32:38 UTC 2006

Kaimano wrote:
> I hope not. The point of Linux is freedom and independence, not being just
> "free". On the contrary, personally I spent more with Linux (if I value my
> time) than with any other OS I used.
>
> Anyway, I would like to focus more on the way we can improve it, starting
> from taking a step back and looking at the core architecture.
>
> The package inter-dependency at "RELEASE" level is killing it.

That's kindof funny. ;o)  If this is something "killing it" as you
say, then why are the number of people using Linux greater right now
than at any previous time?  Why are more and more people/companies
utilizing Linux for more and more jobs/tasks every day?  Why are many
people/companies completely migrating away from other operating systems
such as proprietary UNICES, Windows, and other platforms to Linux now
more than ever before?

What specific signs do you have, which unconditionally show the
problem you have put forth, to be directly responsible for "killing
it" so to speak?  I see no signs of people stopping using Fedora Core
or any other Linux distribution which backs up such a claim.

In reality, more and more people/companies/etc. are using Linux every
day, and that is more likely to increase if anything than to ever
decrease.

I see no "killing it" happening, unless by "it" you mean something other
than Fedora Core or Linux in general, as neither are dying by a long
shot.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.