Licensing brainstorm

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Wed Feb 22 09:01:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:48 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 16:21 +0000, Mauro Mozzarelli wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > You can not bundle the GPL app and the proprietary lib together however.
> > I think that bundling together is a matter of interpretation, but what I
> > have understood, for example is that they cannot be in the same tarball
> > nor in the same srpm, but they can be in different tarballs on a CD.
> > >

> That's simply the "mere aggregation" clause, right?

it's an oversimplification of that clause. "on the same cd" is only
valid if it's really independent works, in fact "part of the same work"
is conditional on that. Fedora is a work, so are many other things.

(and "independent" is key here; for example it'll be really hard to
argue that say a kernel module is independent of the kernel on the same
cd set, while it'll not be hard to argue that an Oracle DB is
independent from MySQL on the same cd set. Where the boundary is...
tricky and you should talk to a lawyer if you want to get close to this
edge)