Re: Non-free Extras?

>From personal experience i do agree. simple example:

socket 939 nforce 4x board fc4 vs winxp pro sp2 integrated:

FC4: everything working out of the box no additional drivers needed
besides raid didnt work in the installer. (known problem)
Rawhide: Raid controller works out of the box aswell
WinXP pro SP2: Onboard nic not working at all and downloading of
driver not possible since no working NIC.
Can we please stop posting meaningless examples?

Six years ago, when I started playing around with Linux I couldn't get my Lucent winmodem to work, and Red Hat would not support it (which was infuriating for a paying customer). Today, my wireless card does not run out of the box. By the argument you present above, I should conclude that Linux has made no progress in six years. Right now we're at 50% supported hardware (yours works, and mine doesn't).

05:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC ( rev 01) Installation of the Windows driver clearly not possible, so I'm in no better position than you on WinXP.