Extra CDs packages installation gone in firstboot?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Jan 11 15:09:53 UTC 2006

Chris Lumens wrote :

> > I just installed the development tree for the first time in a while
> > yesterday, and was a bit surprised and disappointed to see that the
> > firstboot step to install packages from "Extra" CDs was gone (which AFAIK
> > has only ever been used in RHEL).
> >
> > Is it just temporary because of the changes to all the package related
> > tools to use yum as a backend, or is this final? In FC4 it apparently
> > didn't work anyway, so as long as system-cdinstall-helper is still there
> > for installing the same stuff after firstboot, from nautilus using the
> > "autorun" script, it's no big deal anyway.
>
> It's been removed, at least for now, because of all the packaging stuff.
> The additional CDs module in firstboot actually used
> system-config-packages for all the hard work, but that program no longer
> exists.  We'll have to either do some work on pirut or firstboot to get
> that supported again.
>
> The relevant comment in the firstboot spec file is:
>
>    * Wed Nov 16 2005 Chris Lumens <clumens at redhat.com> 1.3.53-1
>    - Disable Additional CDs module for now

Thanks for those details! I see two important reasons to not forget to get
the feature back in before FC5 final :
- It would be nice for me to still be able to provide compilations of
  packages on CD or DVD for FC5 (and not just me, Extras for instance),
  and this right after install from the original FC5 media for users
  without Internet access. So it can't be re-added in an update.
- RHEL5 will definitely use this (ipw2x00 firmwares etc.), so if the next
  RHEL is based on FC5 as time lines seem to suggest, it'll be required.

Anyway, I'll focus testing other aspects of FC development for now, then.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
Load : 0.02 0.17 0.23