Patterned slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop

Hi, I am experiencing slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop. It is interesting - 100% CPU activity for a very long time (too long for everything to be allright). What seems interesting to me is that the slowdown occurs in a pattern - every second time I start up the app it is slow, so run1:slow, run2:fast, run3:slow, run4:fast, regardless of timing. Further, this is a multi app pattern. Start up appX: slow, appY:fast, appZ:slow, appXX:fast. It also happens if you start up multiple copies of the same app: copy1:slow, copy2:fast, copy3:slow. Does not occur with multiple firefox windows, or multiple terminals, which will start up very fast if there's a single one open. Does not occur with something like xpdf - only gnome apps.

Suggestions? What's the correct bugzilla component?