FC5 and Yum Plugins

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Jan 2 16:39:47 UTC 2006

Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 09:09 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > You are volunteering to help Axel out by responding to all the bug
> > reports he's getting from people who are using priorities to filter
> > out parts of atrpms?  Seems only fair. Here you are delibrately
> > encouraging people to use a method to subvert the structure of the 3rd
> > party repository and creating an additional burden on the repo
> > maintainers.

> When I ran a repo - I had two.
> One contained packages that did not conflict with core/extras
> One contained packages that would conflict (replace) packages in
> core/extras.

And a third one contained versions of packages in the first one which
required packages in the second one, but were fixed to work with the
vanilla versions? If not, the whole excercise is futile...

[...]

> When someone has a bunch of stuff replaced from a third party
> repository, are they still running Fedora Core or are they running a
> hybrid? That's the problem I have with repositories that replace core
> packages. They may have more features, but I don't know that they get
> properly patched when vulnerabilities are found, etc. - so replacing a
> core package is imho a bad idea unless you know you need to.

Perhaps the system should be marked "tainted" when installing third-party
packages, like the kernel is for binary modules...