Patterned slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:01:49 UTC 2006

On 1/2/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> > Several questions which you have the power to answer:
> > Does similiar behavior occur when you revert back to the provided nv driver?
> > if yes....
> >
> Yes.
> > While using the nv driver, does similar behavior occure when you run
> > the latest rawhide kernel.
> > if yes....
> >
> Yes.
> > While using the nv driver with the latest rawhide kernel, do you see
> > this behavior  after putting selinux in permissive mode?
> >
> I always selinux run in permissive mode.

Then I have to say i can't confirm what you see. I'm not seeing
appreciable extended periods of high cpu utilization for my rawhide
synced gnome desktop running the nv driver and selinux permissive mode
with my normal application usage patterns.  Or even when I try to
produce it by randomly starting a variety of applications.  You might
be experiencing something triggered by a specific application that I'm
not running. You never told us which process was actually cpu spiking
in your posts so far. Is it the end-user applications, gnome
infrastructure, X.. the kernel related processes?  Are thereother
interesting configurations in play mounted network filesystems? raid?

>>There are certaintly funtastic issues with gnome at
>> the moment (like the multiple gnome-terminal problem) on my system,
>
> Which problem is that? I have one where switching to consoles 1-6,8,9
> makes the screen go pink with a garbled rectangle in one corner, instead
> of showing the login prompt - it's really fun, especially when X freezes
> on console 7. (and yes, this was with the nv driver).

I'm not seeing this behavior at all I can switch consoles all the live
long day on my rawhide box.  I was refering to the problem with
gnome-terminal hanging which has been reported in either test-list and
devel-list by several people in the last week or so... its a problem
specific to gnome-terminal and has nothing to do with problems are are
suggesting here which you are suggesting are rather application
agnostic.

> Ivan"looking forward to when arjan/jeff stop blaming nvidia for every
> problem on the fedora desktop, and hell freezes over" G.

Shrug, hopefully you can find someone who can confirm the problems you
are experiencing.  I don't see this going very far towards resolution
without more specifics or some cross-referencing multiple affected
systems.   But you should know better by now. Reporting problems while
running the nvidia driver aren't going to get much of any attention
from fedora developers simply because they don't have access to the
code. Put your best foot forward in the convesation and start the
discussion based on a system running the nv driver.

> P.S. The nv driver makes my LCD say:

All of these tests have used the LCD moniter?  I have a crt on my
system.  Do you need to enable the FlatPanel option for the nv driver?

-jef