Fedora Default Services

Joseph Harnish bigjoe1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:16:02 UTC 2006

I was reading http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefaultServices to see what
was has been talked about on it about disabling different services and I
have a couple of possible additions.

This is probably just a Hint for laptop users.  On my laptop I use
NetworkManager to handle the network connections.  So I deactivated my
eth0 and my wlan0 from starting when the computer boots.  I had both so
if I was docked it would get an IP or if I were wireless it would also
work.  But this slowed down my boot up a bunch.

>From reading through Keith's comments it seems there is a handful of
services that would come in handy for a Laptop user, some for a Desktop
user and others for a Server.  I think it would be a good idea to create
some default service profiles.  Either just document them on the wiki or
actually have some default profiles in the Service Configuration tool so
a newer user can just apply a profile to their system without having to
know what nifd is or what rpcgssd is.

Thanks

Joe